Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Winter Reading: Frankie Pratt

Mr. Williams made a trip to a local bookstore yesterday, and when I came home, I found this gift waiting for me under my pillow:

Photo from ModCloth

This is the fictional journal of a New Hampshire girl living in 1920.  Using a scrapbook and a typewriter, she logs daily life at home and, eventually, her travels to college, Greenwich Village, and Paris.  ("I will type one page every day," she decides.


Using things like seed packets, buttons, dress pattern designs, and family photos, it really brings the time period to life.


I started reading it last night and I'm already more than halfway finished.  It's already a favorite book simply for its ingenious design; it feels like reading an old ladies magazine.
Anyone interested in vintage fashion or lifestyle will surely appreciate this.  The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt is a joy to read.  I think that after I finish it, it will make a wonderful coffee table book, thanks to its brilliant and whimsical photos.


4 comments:

  1. I bought this book a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to dive into it. I'm glad you're enjoying it!
    - rr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh... that book looks really pretty.

    The Dita lingerie is quite inexpensive, so the quality isn't that high, that said, it is better than I expected. Honestly, I think I only bought it because it is Dita for Target, What Katie Did stuff is so far superior...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that's what I was thinking. I tend to save my pennies for WKD, but if the Dita line ever makes it over here, I'll probably try it out. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, envy envy envy! I wish I had such lovely presents waiting for me when I woke up.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes my day! Feel free to say hi below.