Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

"The Personality Girl"

Hi, all!  Just stopping in to share a bit about one of my favorite 1920s singers, Ms. Annette Hanshaw.


She had a short but prolific career, starting around 1926, and she retired early in the 1930s.  She was known as "The Personality Girl," and made up for any lack of vocal talent with a sense of whimsy and girl-next-door charm.



Her cheerful songs often end with a quick "That's all!", but she sang just as many songs of lost love and disappointment.
If you like other early jazz artists such as Ruth Etting or Ethel Waters, be sure to give Annette Hanshaw a listenin' to on your iPod, laptop, or Vitrola.

4 comments:

  1. She was so dynamically lovely! I sometimes toy with the idea of trying a 20s look for a day and would definitely use her image as inspiration if I tried make-up from that era.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I love how her makeup is casual but dark, and she looks unmistakably '20s.

      Delete
  2. I love Anette, and would heartily disagree with any "lack of vocal talent" assertion. Her voice was cute as a button. I challenge anyone to say otherwise once they've listened to her. One of my favorites is "We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye" from 1932.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite of her songs! I don't think the music style she sang allowed a lot of power to come through in her voice, usually, but I think she was adorable and had a very unique sound. :)

      Delete

Every comment makes my day! Feel free to say hi below.