Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Mid Century Den

It's taken a while to decide what style to go with in our living room, but it's very important to me since it's the largest room of the house and is the first impression on visitors.  We painted the living room a couple of years ago, but the space was still dark and not quite comfortable enough.  I've spent the last year or so collecting mid century modern antiques and coordinating pieces.  So here are a few photos to show how the room has come together so far!

My mom and dad found this piano at a school auction and got it for -- wait for it -- $1.25!  It needed a lot of superficial work, but all of the keys are working.  The Pantone paint color Cockatoo gave it back the liveliness it needed.  Now I just need to paint the piano bench to match.
The bicycle print over the piano is from a graphic design firm called Rockets Are Red.  We actually purchased it years ago and had it stored under the bed, since there was nowhere to put it.  And then we ended up using red and teal in the house, so now we have a perfect place for it!
This antique chair was a gift from my awesome friend, Molly.
This console table started my quest for mid century modern.  I found it sitting outside of a thrift store, and got it for an incredible $11.  It has a few dents and dings, but I love the character of it.  Best of all, the DVD player and Roku can be hidden away inside the compartment.
The sofa and chair was a free (!!!) set my sister found me on Craigslist.  The shape and color is a great match with the mid century aesthetic.
I got a little carried away with the Cockatoo paint...



I'm so happy this room finally all came together!  It's the perfect cozy space for reading, studying, or just watching TV.  It's so nice to have a living room that's bright and colorful and happy.

Do you have a favorite room in your house?  Is there any room that needs a vintage -- or modern -- overhaul?  Tell me about it in the comments!


1 comment:

Every comment makes my day! Feel free to say hi below.